Friday, July 06, 2007

Time of Recollection

About sin, part 2

Mortal sin is nonsensical betrayal of God, to whom we are consecrated in Baptism and First Holy Communion. He gave us so many temporal and spiritual gifts and adopted us as His children and heirs of Heaven: "I will espouse thee to me for ever: and I will espouse thee to me in justice, and judgment, and in mercy, and in commiserations. And I will espouse thee to me in faith: and thou shalt know that I am the Lord" (Osee 2:21). We betray God who loves us and complains about our ingratitude: "Hear, O ye heavens, and give ear, O earth, for the Lord hath spoken. I have brought up children, and exalted them: but they have despised me" (Isaiah 1:2), and: "For if my enemy had reviled me, I would verily have borne with it. And if he that hated me had spoken great things against me, I would perhaps have hidden myself from him. But thou a man of one mind, my guide, and my familiar, Who didst take sweetmeats together with me: in the house of God we walked with consent." (Psalm 54:13-15). Mortal sin is serious betrayal of God who mercifully: "giveth to all life, and breath, and all things" (Acts 17:25). Let us think about temporal and spiritual favours such as good health of mind and body, being born in Christian country, to Catholic parents, raised in true faith, all these gifts and favours free given through God's mercy and grace: "This is the Lord's doing: and it is wonderful in our eyes" (Psalm 117:23). Comparing all these gifts and favours and our ingratitude helps to see how bad is sining against loving and merciful Lord. We must develop hatred of sin and all that leads to sin: "Hating that which is evil, cleaving to that which is good" (Rom 12:9)