Thursday, December 21, 2006

SCRIPTURE CORNER

SIN, JUSTIFICATION, MERIT
fragments from "Scripture by Topic" - Originally titled "The Divine Armory of Holy Scripture" - 1943 edition - Angelus Press 2006


5. HATRED OF SIN

Do not commit this abominable thing which I hate. Jer. 44:4
You that love the Lord, hate evil: the Lord preserveth the souls of his saints: he will deliver them out of the hand of the sinner. Ps. 96:210
A fainting hath taken hold of me, because of the wicked that forsake thy law. I have hated all wicked ways. I hated and abhorred iniquity; but I have loved thy law. Ps. 118:53, 128, 163
Have I not hated them, O Lord, that hated thee: and pined away because of the enemies? Ps. 138:21
Three sorts my soul hateth, and I am greatly grieved at their life: a poor man that is proud: a rich man that is a liar: an old man that is a fool, and doting. Ecclus. 25:3f
My mouth shall meditate truth, and my lips shall hate wickedness. The fear of the Lord hateth evil. Prov. 8:7, 13
Hating that which is evil, cleaving to that which good. Rom. 12:9
The deeds of the Nicolaites I hate. Apoc. 2:6
Let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his friend: and love not a false oath: for all these are the things that I hate, saith the Lord. Zach. 8:1
Thou hast hated iniquity: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. Ps. 44:8
Six things there are which the Lord hateth, and the seventh his soul detesteth:
1. haughty eyes,
2. a lying tongue,
3. hands that shed innocent blood,
4. a heart that deviseth wicked plots,
5. feet that are swift to run into mischief,
6. a deceitful witness that uttereth lies,
7. and him that soweth discord among brethren. Prov. 6:16-19