Tuesday, August 29, 2006

SCRIPTURE CORNER

ON THE DUTIES OF THE STATE part four

Purity of life is the principal duty of the state -" Take heed to keep thyself, my son, from all fornication" Tob 4, 12.
For the sins of lust, flood and brimstone destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, sudden death met Onan and his offspring, Cham and his children were cursed. Our Lord warns seducers:"it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea" Mt 18, 6.
Debauchery is the punishment on its own inflicted on those enslaved. They are deprived of genuine inner peace and joy. In time they can develop hatred for their lives and for themselves. Sometimes suicide is the sad end. The rule is simple: avoid thinking and doing shameful things for the holy fear of God. For God made horrific announcement to unrepentant sinners" Because I called, and you refused: I stretched out my hand, and there was none that regarded. You have despised all my counsel, and have neglected my reprehensions. I also will laugh in your destruction, and will mock when that shall come to you which you feared" Prov 1, 24-26.