Friday, April 11, 2008

Confession of Peter

Beautiful reading today, Peter confesses Divinity of Christ and Our Lord gives him charge over His flock.

Matthew 16:13-19
And Jesus came into the quarters of Cesarea Philippi:


and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is? But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets.


Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?




Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven.



And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

Pictures credit: Alexander Bida, Vasiliy Polenov, James Tissot and unknown illustrator.