Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying: Eli, Eli, lamma sabacthani? that is, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matt 27:46)

This is the cry of suffering, desolated and forsaken soul. Plead for help and relief of heart abandoned by His Father. How great is suffering of this tortured body! There is not even smallest piece left unhurt. Our Lord shivers from fever. But Father does not grant any consolation. My God, why hast thou forsaken me? - and His soul suffers much, much more! Thousands times more than the body due to most dreadful, inner dryness. And the Jews keep scoffing and sneering at Him but the Father will not bring any relief. My God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Many Saints get through this terrible desolation with their Redeemer. Only by God's grace they could endure. How much more should suffer ordinary sinner as a punishment for sins if Our Lord would not chose to die in total desolation on the Cross for us? This is our most important duty to take care not to waste such precious gift given to us freely! Let us kiss devoutly Our Lord's Cross and embrace it crying: O my sweetest Jesus, you are so desolate, your dearest Mother and consolation of your soul cannot help you. Even your most loving Father has abandoned you. And all this you have chosen to suffer for my sake! For me - that in my little anxieties and miseries and at the last hour I will not be forsaken. Oh, my dearest Lord, how can I repay you debt like this? At the time of Our Lord's Passion hardly anyone around could comprehend what was really happening on the Cross. And many people today have little understanding of the greatness of Jesus' redeeming work. Let us be very careful not to be in the midst of those Our Lord complains about:"My acquaintance like strangers have departed from me. My kinsmen have forsaken me, and they that knew me, have forgotten me" (Job 19: 13-14)