Wednesday, September 13, 2006

DEVOTION CORNER - "On the Sixth Dolour - The piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Descent from the Cross"
fragments from "Victories of the Martyrs" by St. Alphonsus Liguori

"O all ye that pass by the way, attend, and see if there be any sorrow like
to my sorrow"
Lam 1:12.
It is enough to tell a mother that her son is dead, to excite all her love
towards her lost child. Some persons, that they may lessen a mother's grief,
remind her of the displeasure at one time caused by her departed child. But
I my queen, did I thus wish to lighten your grief for the death of Jesus,
for what displeasure did he ever cause thee could I remind thee? No,
indeed. He always loved thee, He always obeyed thee, and always respected
thee. Now you have lost him who can ever tell your grief. Do thou explain
it, you who have experienced it.