Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Feast of St Martha - click to read

The cult of St. Martha began about the year 1200. She was the person for whom Jesus was like family, and therefore, a powerful one in the presence of God. Jesus told Martha that Mary had chosen "the best part". In this way Our Lord gently reminds us the good prayer is proper nourishment for the soul. We can see Martha again at the tomb of her brother Lazarus, where she pronounces words of faith: "I know He will rise again in the resurrection on the last day." Jesus' answer was: "I am the resurrection and the life: whoever believes in me, though he should die, will come to life;...Do you believe this?" "Yes Lord", she replied, "I have come to believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God; he who is to come into the world." 

 


2 Cor. 10:17-18,11:1-2. But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. For not he who commendeth himself is approved: but he, whom God commendeth. Would to God you could bear with some little of my folly! But do bear with me. For I am jealous of you with the jealousy of God. For I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Luke 10:38-42.
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain town: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary. who, sitting also at the Lord's feet, heard his word. But Martha was busy about much serving. Who stood and said: Lord, hast thou no care that my sister hath left me alone to serve? Speak to her therefore, that she help me. And the Lord answering, said to her: Martha, Martha, thou art careful and art troubled about many things: But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Novena prayer to St Martha
O glorious Saint Martha,
I have recourse to your protection and aid,
And as proof of my affection and faith
I promise faithfully to complete this novena.

Comfort me in my difficulties
And intercede for my family
With your intimate friend, Our Saviour,
That we may always hold God in our hearts
And be provided for in our necessities.

I beg your supplications
Especially in behalf of the favour
I ask of you in this novena.

(mention your request).

I ask you, Saint Martha,
By your intercession to help me
In overcoming all my difficulties
And to teach me to become great
In the Kingdom of Heaven
By becoming as humble as you
In this world. Amen.

Our Father
Hail Mary
Glory Be

Picture represent a copy of Tintoretto painting, depicting Christ in the house of Martha and Mary.