Tuesday, March 25, 2008

EASTER TUESDAY - WHOM SEEK YOU?

PRESENCE OF GOD - O Lord, may I always seek You alone, and seeking You, may I have the grace to find You.

MEDITATION
1. In the Masses of Easter week the Gospel recount the various apparitions of risen Jesus; the first, and one of the most moving, is that to Mary Magdalen (Jn 20:11-18). In this episode Mary appears with her characteristic trait, that of a soul completely possessed by the love of God. When she reaches the sepulcher, she has scarcely seen "the stone rolled away," before she is seized with one only anxiety: "They have taken away my Lord." Who could have taken Him? She repeats these questions to everyone she meets, supposing that they are filled with a like apprehension. She tells it to Peter and John who come running to see for themselves; she tells it to Angels, and she tells it even to Jesus. The other women, finding the sepulcher open, go in and find out what happened, but Magdalen runs off quickly to bring the news to the Apostles. Then she returns. What will she do near the empty tomb? She does not know, but love has impelled her to return, and it keeps her at the place where the body of the Master had been, the body that she wants to find at any cost. She sees Angels, but she does not marvel nor become frightened like the other women; she is so possessed by her grief that there is no room in her soul for other emotions. When the Angels ask her: "Woman, why weepest thou?" she has only one answer: "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid Him." Later, Jesus asks her the same question and Mary, absorbed in her thoughts, does not even recognise Him, but "Thinking that it was the gardener," she says to Him: "Sir, if thou hast taken Him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take Him away." The thought of finding Jesus so occupies her mind that she does not even feel the need of giving His name; it seems to her that everyone must be thinking of Him, that everyone would understand immediately - as though everyone were in the same state of mind as she. When love of God and desire for Him have taken full possession of a soul, there is no longer room in it for other loves, other desires, other preoccupations. All its movements are directed to God, and through all things the soul does nothing but seek God alone......

COLLOQUY
.....O most loving Jesus Christ, although You have loved me inexpressibly, I, a wicked sinner, enclosing in my bosom a heart of stone and iron, have not recognised your burning love; even though I desired Your affection, I did not want to love You. Deign, then, to come to my aid, O most merciful Jesus Christ, and by the violence of Your most sweet love, force my rebellious soul to love You, so that I may serve You in peace and attain the unending life of love (Ven. R. Giordano).

credit: text from 'Divine Intimacy' by Fr Gabriel of St Mary Magdalene, OCD