Sunday, August 15, 2021

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, solemnity

See the beauty of the daughter of Jerusalem, who ascended to heaven like the rising sun at dawn (Morning Prayer, Benedictus Antiphon.
 
 One day, the feast of the Assumption of our Lady, Queen of Angels, the Lord desired to grant me the following favor; in a rapture He showed me her ascent to heaven, the happiness and solemnity with which she was received, and the place where she is. I wouldn't be able to describe how this happened. The glory my spirit experienced in seeing so much glory was magnificent. The effects of this favor were great. I was helped in having a deeper desire to undergo difficult trials, and I was left with a longing to serve our Lady since she deserved this so much. St Teresa of Avila, The book of her life, ch 39.
 
 
The image represents Titiano Vecelli's 'The Assumption of the Virgin' altarpiece, Venice Basilica di Santa Gloriosa dei Frari, after Titian.org